ANY possibilities of using google chrome with cac reader?

ANY possibilities of using google chrome with cac reader?

Howy Dood
Hello,

I have been unable to find an answer to this anywhere else, but is there
any way, at all, to use my cac reader in Linux with google chrome, or am
I doomed to have to continue using firefox with cackey or coolkey?

Re: ANY possibilities of using google chrome with cac reader?

Frank Marien
On 06/25/12 03:08, Howdy Doody wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been unable to find an answer to this anywhere else, but is there
> any way, at all, to use my cac reader in Linux with google chrome, or am
> I doomed to have to continue using firefox with cackey or coolkey?

Why would you want to use a browser that was made by an ad agency?
Don't care about privacy? Chrome is a disaster in that regard...
Sniff your local network while you're surfing to see what I mean..

use *that* with anything requiring security? madness, I think..

What's wrong with Firefox?

(Doing this off the list because I'm tired of and too old for flame wars)

WKR
Frank.

apologies

Frank Marien
Apologies, I mis-clicked, this was intended as a personal reply..
totally off-topic..
I will not respond to anything regarding this on the list.

On 06/25/12 10:31, Frank Marien wrote:

> On 06/25/12 03:08, Howdy Doody wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been unable to find an answer to this anywhere else, but is there
>> any way, at all, to use my cac reader in Linux with google chrome, or am
>> I doomed to have to continue using firefox with cackey or coolkey?

> Why would you want to use a browser that was made by an ad agency?
> Don't care about privacy? Chrome is a disaster in that regard...
> Sniff your local network while you're surfing to see what I mean..
>
> use *that* with anything requiring security? madness, I think..
>
> What's wrong with Firefox?
>
> (Doing this off the list because I'm tired of and too old for flame wars)
>
> WKR
> Frank.

Re: ANY possibilities of using google chrome with cac reader?

Michael StJohns-2
I don't use Chrome, but I think it supports PKCS11.  I'd try that approach with the musclecard PKCS11 implementation and the CAC and coolkey plugins.

Mike

At 09:08 PM 6/24/2012, Howdy Doody wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have been unable to find an answer to this anywhere else, but is there
>any way, at all, to use my cac reader in Linux with google chrome, or am
>I doomed to have to continue using firefox with cackey or coolkey?

Re: ANY possibilities of using google chrome with cac reader?

Frank Marien
For what it's worth, if you must use Chrome..

I've heard support folks talk about how Chrome had it's own SSL implementation,
and that caused problems with some smart card middlewares.

One solution would be to start chrome with the --use-system-ssl command-line argument,
to make it fall "back" to the native SSL instead of it's own.

I've also found this one:

http://code.google.com/p/eid-mw/wiki/ChromeLinux

Although it's not about cac, it describes how to enable a pkcs11 module in Chrome.. might be useful..
substitute 'Coolkey' for 'Belgium eID' and the path of the coolkey pkcs11 module for '/usr/lib/libbeidpkcs11.so'.

WKR
-f

On 06/25/12 16:47, Michael StJohns wrote:
I don't use Chrome, but I think it supports PKCS11.  I'd try that approach with the musclecard PKCS11 implementation and the CAC and coolkey plugins.

Mike

At 09:08 PM 6/24/2012, Howdy Doody wrote:
Hello,

I have been unable to find an answer to this anywhere else, but is there
any way, at all, to use my cac reader in Linux with google chrome, or am
I doomed to have to continue using firefox with cackey or coolkey?

Re: ANY possibilities of using google chrome with cac reader?

helpcrypto helpcrypto
Google Chrome supports pkcs#11 modules. First versions (< 3) were a
bit buggy, but since then it works ok with our pkcs#11 module.

You have an example here
http://blog.acrossecurity.com/2011/10/google-chrome-pkcs11txt-file-planting.html,
but if u have any specific question, just ask.

BTW: Did someone tell you Chrome is evil?

Re: ANY possibilities of using google chrome with cac reader?

Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE
Le dimanche 24 juin 2012 à 20:08 -0500, Howdy Doody a écrit :
> I have been unable to find an answer to this anywhere else, but is
> there
> any way, at all, to use my cac reader in Linux with google chrome, or
> am
> I doomed to have to continue using firefox with cackey or coolkey?

It should work with any OpenSC supported smartcard. Please follow this
guide: http://www.gooze.eu/howto/smartcard-quickstarter-guide

It was not tested with Google chrome but OpenSC should work as well.

Kind regards,

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: ANY possibilities of using google chrome with cac reader?

Douglas E. Engert

On 7/3/2012 7:27 AM, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE wrote:
> Le dimanche 24 juin 2012 à 20:08 -0500, Howdy Doody a écrit :
>> I have been unable to find an answer to this anywhere else, but is
>> there
>> any way, at all, to use my cac reader in Linux with google chrome, or
>> am
>> I doomed to have to continue using firefox with cackey or coolkey?

In addition to all the other comments, Newer CAC smartcards are being issued
as dual CAC and PIV cards. OpenSC supports the PIV.

Google for: CAC PIV dual applications

> It should work with any OpenSC supported smartcard. Please follow this
> guide: http://www.gooze.eu/howto/smartcard-quickstarter-guide
>
> It was not tested with Google chrome but OpenSC should work as well.
>
> Kind regards,

  Douglas E. Engert  <[hidden email]>
  Argonne National Laboratory
  9700 South Cass Avenue