Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

12

Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Sébastien Chaumat
Hello,

 Maybe  situation similar as this one reported here long ago :

 I'm trying to get this device working with an openPGP 2.1 card (that works perfectly with another card reader on same distribution) on debian strech.

 tested with ccid-1.4.27 freshly compiled.

See the log in attachement.

Thanks for helping.
Sébastien

log.txt (22K) Download Attachment

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Ludovic Rousseau
Hello,

Hello,

 Maybe  situation similar as this one reported here long ago :

 I'm trying to get this device working with an openPGP 2.1 card (that works perfectly with another card reader on same distribution) on debian strech.

 tested with ccid-1.4.27 freshly compiled.

See the log in attachement.

Thanks for helping.
Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Sébastien Chaumat
Just compiled with ./configure --enable-zlp and tested : same result :/
(see log2 attached)
Any way to check that the patch is correctly applied ?

(BTW I can't believe I decided to send my report today...without knowing about the release of 1.4.27 and the above)

Thanks,
Sebastien

log2.txt (19K) Download Attachment

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Ludovic Rousseau
Just compiled with ./configure --enable-zlp and tested : same result :/
(see log2 attached)
Any way to check that the patch is correctly applied ?

Your log contains the expected activation indicator:
00001403 ccid.c:80:ccid_open_hack_pre() ZLP fixup

But in your case the fix is not enough.

Try to change the timeout value at ccid_usb.c line 835 [1] from 10 to 100.
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pcsclite/CCID.git/tree/src/ccid_usb.c#n835

(BTW I can't believe I decided to send my report today...without knowing about the release of 1.4.27 and the above)

:-)

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Wolfgang Pichler
Hi,

i did had the same bug - it seems that some Gemalto Sticks (not all) have a problem in the firmware intitalize procedure. Because of this problem you get a too big usb read bytes request - which will then fail…

Attached a workaround for this problem - which does work for me.

But as stated - this is a workaround - not a real bug fix.

br,
Wolfgang

patch-libccid.diff (502 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Ludovic Rousseau

Hello,

i did had the same bug - it seems that some Gemalto Sticks (not all) have a problem in the firmware intitalize procedure. Because of this problem you get a too big usb read bytes request - which will then fail…

Very interesting.

Can you send me the output of the GNU/Linux command "lsusb -v" for your bogus device?
And also the lines logged by the Linux kernel when you connect the device.

Same question with a non-bogus device if you have one.

How have you found the work around?
Have you used a USB hardware spy or something similar?

I am surprised to see that changing the _reception_ buffer length has an effect. The USB device should not know this buffer size. But I am not a USB expert.

Attached a workaround for this problem - which does work for me.

But as stated - this is a workaround - not a real bug fix.

The workaround has a bad size effect that reader responses of more than 4096 bytes would have problems.
Before I apply any workaround I need to understand why your change makes the reader work.

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Wolfgang Pichler
Hi,

i will try to collect this data.

An other thing i forgot to mention here - for me the bug only encountered on arm architecture (i have no idea why…) - the same lib versions on i386 / amd64 did worked.

I found the problem by adding some debug lines - to see where it does not get the correct answer. At this point i recongnised that the lib request to ready 65535 bytes from the usb stack - which seemed to be too much ;-). So i simply used a fixed value - which will be enough for my needs (signing a 256 bytes hash). But as said - this is just a workaround for me - no bug fix.

The only difference i found between the two sticks is - that the one which worked announced on more speed entry than the other stick. The rest ist identically.

Here is the original thread for reference:

I forgot to answer - sorry.

The plattform is not a 2 byte int plattform.

The bug must be somewhere, where it does calculate the read size…

br,
Wolfgang

Am 22.05.2017 um 11:05 schrieb Ludovic Rousseau <[hidden email]>:

Hello,

[...]

I suspect a bug in the USB hardware or USB Linux layer of your arm platform then.

I just talked to a USB expert and the reader (USB device) has no idea of the reception buffer size. So the problem should not be in the reader (for this bug).

I found the problem by adding some debug lines - to see where it does not get the correct answer. At this point i recongnised that the lib request to ready 65535 bytes from the usb stack - which seemed to be too much ;-). So i simply used a fixed value - which will be enough for my needs (signing a 256 bytes hash). But as said - this is just a workaround for me - no bug fix.

The only difference i found between the two sticks is - that the one which worked announced on more speed entry than the other stick. The rest ist identically.

Without your change you have a working reader and a non working one?

Using the same hardware and software platform?

Here is the original thread for reference:

I forgot to answer - sorry.

The plattform is not a 2 byte int plattform.

The bug must be somewhere, where it does calculate the read size…

Try to upgrade to a recent Linux kernel.
Are you using Linux?

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Wolfgang Pichler
Hi,

i’ve also thought about a bug in the libusb - but also an upgrade to the latest libusb did not help. The same (latest) libusb version on amd64 did work - and on arm it did not work.

So - yes - without the workaround i have two Gemalto sticks - one is working - the other one not.

I am using this sticks on a raspberry - running a customized raspbian (odoo PosBox Image)

I’ve not tried an upgrade to the latest linux kernel - because i do not have a cross compile environment here - and i do not assume that it will have to do something with the bug.

Do you have a raspberry for testing ? I can send you these two sticks if you want.

br,
Wolfgang

Am 22.05.2017 um 11:38 schrieb Ludovic Rousseau <[hidden email]>:

Hello,

[...]

I have a raspberrry Pi version 1 or 2, and a version 3.

Thanks for the offer. I will let you know if I need your sticks.

 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Sébastien Chaumat
Hello,

 Raising timeout to 100ms did not help.

Sébastien

Le lun. 22 mai 2017 à 09:42, Ludovic Rousseau <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Just compiled with ./configure --enable-zlp and tested : same result :/
(see log2 attached)
Any way to check that the patch is correctly applied ?

Your log contains the expected activation indicator:
00001403 ccid.c:80:ccid_open_hack_pre() ZLP fixup

But in your case the fix is not enough.

Try to change the timeout value at ccid_usb.c line 835 [1] from 10 to 100.
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pcsclite/CCID.git/tree/src/ccid_usb.c#n835

(BTW I can't believe I decided to send my report today...without knowing about the release of 1.4.27 and the above)

:-)

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Ludovic Rousseau
Hello,

 Raising timeout to 100ms did not help.

I am not really surprised.

I have no solution to offer.
Maybe try to contact the reader reseller to exchange it with another model.

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Sébastien Chaumat
Kernel output

10341.496256] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 26 using xhci_hcd
[10341.641725] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=08e6, idProduct=3438
[10341.641732] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[10341.641736] usb 1-1: Product: USB SmartCard Reader
[10341.641739] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Gemalto
[10341.641742] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: CF4B23C4

lsusb -v in attachement

Hello,

lsub-gemalto.txt (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Ludovic Rousseau
Kernel output

10341.496256] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 26 using xhci_hcd
[10341.641725] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=08e6, idProduct=3438
[10341.641732] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[10341.641736] usb 1-1: Product: USB SmartCard Reader
[10341.641739] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Gemalto
[10341.641742] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: CF4B23C4

lsusb -v in attachement

That will return the exact reader firmware version.

You will have to install the Debian package python-pyscard (or python3-pyscard) first.

Thanks

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Ludovic Rousseau
I do not get any output from control_get_firmware.py

Was the reader connected?
You should, at least, get the names of all the connected readers.

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Sébastien Chaumat
It is connected :

lsusb
Bus 001 Device 017: ID 08e6:3438 Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader

dmesg
[24264.883082] usb 1-1: new full-speed USB device number 17 using xhci_hcd
[24265.028516] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=08e6, idProduct=3438
[24265.028524] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[24265.028528] usb 1-1: Product: USB SmartCard Reader
[24265.028531] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Gemalto
[24265.028534] usb 1-1: SerialNumber: CF4B23C4

Le dim. 28 mai 2017 à 16:28, Ludovic Rousseau <[hidden email]> a écrit :
[...]

And you can see the reader using pcsc_scan?

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Gemalto (was Gemplus) GemPC Key SmartCard Reader not working in debian stretch

Sébastien Chaumat
Nope

Got the infamous:
May 28 23:27:36 muetdhiver pcscd[20073]: 00000000 commands.c:1226:CmdGetSlotStatus() Not enough data received: 0 bytes
May 28 23:27:36 muetdhiver pcscd[20073]: 00000791 commands.c:1226:CmdGetSlotStatus() Not enough data received: 0 bytes
May 28 23:27:36 muetdhiver pcscd[20073]: 00000647 commands.c:1226:CmdGetSlotStatus() Not enough data received: 0 bytes
May 28 23:27:36 muetdhiver pcscd[20073]: 00000014 ifdhandler.c:195:CreateChannelByNameOrChannel() failed
May 28 23:27:36 muetdhiver pcscd[20073]: 00000203 readerfactory.c:1110:RFInitializeReader() Open Port 0x200000 Failed (usb:08e6/3438:libudev:0:/dev/bus/usb/001/017)
May 28 23:27:36 muetdhiver pcscd[20073]: 00000012 readerfactory.c:375:RFAddReader() Gemalto USB Shell Token V2 (CF4B23C4) init failed.
May 28 23:27:36 muetdhiver pcscd[20073]: 00000071 hotplug_libudev.c:520:HPAddDevice() Failed adding USB device: Gemalto USB Shell Token V2