Questions about supported devices page

Thomas Capricelli

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding
        https://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid/supported.html#0x08E60x3437

1) What does "Features: serial" mean here ?
https://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid/supported.html#0x08E60x3437

2) There seems to be different readers called "Gemalato GemPC USB",
isn't there?

3) "SCM Microsystems" is no more, it's called "Identiv Infrastructure"
according to http://www.identive-infrastructure.com
"HP USB SmartCard Reader" is listed there. Why ? In this case too, i'm
afraid there are several different devices going by this name.

best regards,
--
Thomas Capricelli <[hidden email]>
http://www.freehackers.org/thomas/

Re: Questions about supported devices page

Ludovic Rousseau

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding
        https://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid/supported.html#0x08E60x3437

1) What does "Features: serial" mean here ?
https://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid/supported.html#0x08E60x3437

This reader can be connected to a serial port (instead of a USB port) using the adapted cable.

2) There seems to be different readers called "Gemalato GemPC USB", isn't there?

Product names sometimes change.
The PC Twin has been renamed PC USB and then CT30.
See http://support.gemalto.com/index.php?id=pc_usb_tr_and_pc_twin

This model can't be used on a serial port.

3) "SCM Microsystems" is no more, it's called "Identiv Infrastructure" according to http://www.identive-infrastructure.com
"HP USB SmartCard Reader" is listed there. Why ? In this case too, i'm afraid there are several different devices going by this name.

Manufacturer names also change over time.
For example see "Gemalto smart card readers" http://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.fr/2015/03/gemalto-readers.html

A good way to identify a USB device is to use the VendorID and ProductID numbers. They are 16-bits integers like 0x08E6 and 0x3437 in your example above.

A manufacturer may use the same product name for different devices, or different product names for the same device as we saw above.
My list uses the name indicated in the USB descriptor (unless I overwrite the name by hand).

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Il 23/10/2015 19:04, Ludovic Rousseau ha scritto:
> A good way to identify a USB device is to use the VendorID and ProductID
> numbers. They are 16-bits integers like 0x08E6 and 0x3437 in your
> example above.

Yes, but for this you need to actually have the device.

When you're looking for a "supported" device on online retailing shops,
it's far
more complicated !

Thanks for your answers (and links).

Thomas