Reader PC/SC not compliant

Diego Delgado
Hi there,

I have two smartcard contactless readers not PC/SC compliant.
The two readers communicate with the computer using a proprietary serial
protocol. One of the readers connects using a serial cable and the other
an USB cable although it's seen by Windows as a serial device (COMxx).

I would like to make these readers PC/SC compliant. I think the only way
is to make the PCSC driver for the reader, but I don't know how hard is
to develop a PC/SC driver from scratch and if it would be possible if
the reader (hardware and firmware) was not designed with PC/SC in mind.

If not, what about developing a "bridge layer" between the PCSC
framework and the propietary reader driver? In this case the bridge
layer redirects the PC/SC calls to to the propietary reader serial driver.
Maybe is this second approach more appropriate?

Thanks.

Re: Reader PC/SC not compliant

Diego Delgado
Well, I edit my last post.

I have the firmware source code of the readers and I can modify it. So I
think the best and fast solution would be to develop de CCID application
layer at firware level. I'm right?
Are there some resources, information, etc. to support the CCID developing?

Thanks.

Diego.

El 22/03/2013 12:40, Diego Delgado escribió:

> Hi there,
>
> I have two smartcard contactless readers not PC/SC compliant.
> The two readers communicate with the computer using a proprietary serial
> protocol. One of the readers connects using a serial cable and the other
> an USB cable although it's seen by Windows as a serial device (COMxx).
>
> I would like to make these readers PC/SC compliant. I think the only way
> is to make the PCSC driver for the reader, but I don't know how hard is
> to develop a PC/SC driver from scratch and if it would be possible if
> the reader (hardware and firmware) was not designed with PC/SC in mind.
>
> If not, what about developing a "bridge layer" between the PCSC
> framework and the propietary reader driver? In this case the bridge
> layer redirects the PC/SC calls to to the propietary reader serial driver.
> Maybe is this second approach more appropriate?
>
> Thanks.

Diego Delgado Roda
[hidden email]
IDONEUM Electronic Identity, S.A.
Calmell Group
www.idoneum.net
Polígono Industrial Pla d’en Coll
C/ Fresser 12 C
08110 MONTCADA I REIXAC (Barcelona)
Tel +34 93 564 14 00
Fax +34 93 564 58 22

Re: Reader PC/SC not compliant

Bruno Jesus
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Diego Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well, I edit my last post.
>
> I have the firmware source code of the readers and I can modify it. So I
> think the best and fast solution would be to develop de CCID application
> layer at firware level. I'm right?
> Are there some resources, information, etc. to support the CCID developing?

You can refer to the documentation in
http://www.pcscworkgroup.com/specifications/specdownload.php
You can also see some sample code from Atmel. If you look for
cciddriver.c in google you will find several projects using their
files, for example:
http://makecontroller.googlecode.com/svn/firmware/trunk/core/usb/device/ccid/

It may be easier to write a CCID driver for pcsclite than try to write
the CCID for the device.

> Thanks.
>
> Diego.

Best wishes,
Bruno

El 22/03/2013 14:13, Bruno Jesus escribió:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Diego Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Well, I edit my last post.
>>
>> I have the firmware source code of the readers and I can modify it. So I
>> think the best and fast solution would be to develop de CCID application
>> layer at firware level. I'm right?
>> Are there some resources, information, etc. to support the CCID developing?
> You can refer to the documentation in
> http://www.pcscworkgroup.com/specifications/specdownload.php
> You can also see some sample code from Atmel. If you look for
> cciddriver.c in google you will find several projects using their
> files, for example:
> http://makecontroller.googlecode.com/svn/firmware/trunk/core/usb/device/ccid/

> It may be easier to write a CCID driver for pcsclite than try to write
> the CCID for the device.
But the reader must to be CCID compliant, isn't? Is not theCCID driver a
generic driver for all CCID readers?
Moreover these readers are used in a Windows environment.

>> Thanks.
>>
>> Diego.
>>
> Best wishes,
> Bruno
>
>> El 22/03/2013 12:40, Diego Delgado escribió:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I have two smartcard contactless readers not PC/SC compliant.
>>> The two readers communicate with the computer using a proprietary serial
>>> protocol. One of the readers connects using a serial cable and the other
>>> an USB cable although it's seen by Windows as a serial device (COMxx).
>>>
>>> I would like to make these readers PC/SC compliant. I think the only way
>>> is to make the PCSC driver for the reader, but I don't know how hard is
>>> to develop a PC/SC driver from scratch and if it would be possible if
>>> the reader (hardware and firmware) was not designed with PC/SC in mind.
>>>
>>> If not, what about developing a "bridge layer" between the PCSC
>>> framework and the propietary reader driver? In this case the bridge
>>> layer redirects the PC/SC calls to to the propietary reader serial driver.
>>> Maybe is this second approach more appropriate?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Re: Reader PC/SC not compliant

Sebastien Lorquet
Hello,

"PCSC" compliance is an API thing, you can achieve that with many methods:

-develop a pcsclite driver that handles your reader. In that case, you can
implement and support anything on the reader side.
This means developing a linux shared library that implements a specific API (IFD
API IIRC, not sure about the name)
You will have to distribute your driver in order for others to use your device.

-develop a CCID firmware for your device. CCID exists at a lower level than PCSC.
You will have to follow the CCID specification (freely downloadable on the
usb-if website)
This means developing an embedded firmware acting as an USB device.
You will be able to use your device with pcsclite's "official" CCID driver,
which will imply PCSC compliance.

A CCID compliant device will likely also work with the stock MS Windows CCID driver.

Regards
Sebastien

Le 22/03/2013 14:34, Diego Delgado a écrit :

> El 22/03/2013 14:13, Bruno Jesus escribió:
>> On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Diego Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Well, I edit my last post.
>>>
>>> I have the firmware source code of the readers and I can modify it. So I
>>> think the best and fast solution would be to develop de CCID application
>>> layer at firware level. I'm right?
>>> Are there some resources, information, etc. to support the CCID developing?
>> You can refer to the documentation in
>> http://www.pcscworkgroup.com/specifications/specdownload.php
>> You can also see some sample code from Atmel. If you look for
>> cciddriver.c in google you will find several projects using their
>> files, for example:
>> http://makecontroller.googlecode.com/svn/firmware/trunk/core/usb/device/ccid/
>> It may be easier to write a CCID driver for pcsclite than try to write
>> the CCID for the device.
> But the reader must to be CCID compliant, isn't? Is not theCCID driver a
> generic driver for all CCID readers?
> Moreover these readers are used in a Windows environment.
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Diego.
>>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Bruno

Re: Reader PC/SC not compliant

Xavier Monés
Hi Diego,

Although you have the source code of the readers, there is no PC/SC specification for serial communication readers.
I also looks like your USB reader uses a USB to Serial bridge chipset and you won't be able to change the USB behavior.

CCID applies to USB readers, so you will need to develop your own driver for the readers.

Best regards,

Xavier

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM, Xavier Monés <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Diego,
>
> Although you have the source code of the readers, there is no PC/SC
> specification for serial communication readers.
> I also looks like your USB reader uses a USB to Serial bridge chipset and
> you won't be able to change the USB behavior.
>
> CCID applies to USB readers, so you will need to develop your own driver for
> the readers.

As Sebastien stated I think it's possible to write the CCID driver for
pcsclite by implementing the IFD, I may be wrong tough. Ludovic will
probably have a better answer.

> Best regards,
>
> Xavier

Bruno

> [...]
>
> Hi there,
>
> I have two smartcard contactless readers not PC/SC compliant.
> The two readers communicate with the computer using a proprietary serial
> protocol. One of the readers connects using a serial cable and the other
> an USB cable although it's seen by Windows as a serial device (COMxx).
>
> I would like to make these readers PC/SC compliant. I think the only way
> is to make the PCSC driver for the reader, but I don't know how hard is
> to develop a PC/SC driver from scratch and if it would be possible if
> the reader (hardware and firmware) was not designed with PC/SC in mind.
>
> If not, what about developing a "bridge layer" between the PCSC
> framework and the propietary reader driver? In this case the bridge
> layer redirects the PC/SC calls to to the propietary reader serial driver.
> Maybe is this second approach more appropriate?

universe* god::bigbang (void); //and then it all began...

Re: Reader PC/SC not compliant

Diego Delgado
Hi Xavi,

You are right. The reader is not able to act as an USB device, so it seems the only solution is to develop the IFD handler (driver) for Windows.

Then, do I have to begin with the WDK to develop such a driver? And what about the the serial dependency, the PCSC driver will link to the usbser.sys or another serial driver?

Thanks and regards.

El 22/03/2013 15:56, Xavier Monés escribió:
[...]

There are different approaches you use to solve the problem. Anyway if you are talking about windows environment this is not the right forum as it is the Movement for the Use of Smart Cards in a Linux Environment.

There are already some serial ifd handlers for linux, you could consider adapting the serial protocol of your readers to behave as a supported one or you could develop a serial reader driver with the help of the IFDHandler API.

For
windows, you can develop a core or a user mode driver (which is much easier).

Best regards,

Xavier