Smartcard reader Precise Biometrics 200 MC

Smartcard reader Precise Biometrics 200 MC

yang
Hello,

I am wondering if the smartcard reader "Precise Biometrics 200 MC" [1] managed to enter to the supported readers to be used with GnuPG on GNU/Linux systems now in 2016 ? Is there a guideline to follow for setting it up ? I have found a reference [2] where it says that this reader has been assigned to unsupported devices list [3] in the year 2010. I am wondering if anything has been changed in the last 6 years about that, and would it make any sense keeping this device for another year if there is a chance for any progress to be made or will it simply remain being permanently unsupported ? Could it maybe be used without a fingerprint scanner and only through a PIN entry entering mode from the PC ?

1 - http://precisebiometrics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/ProductSheetPrecise200MC.pdf
2 - http://musclecard.996296.n3.nabble.com/pcsc-lite-ccid-Precise-MC-200-problems-with-T-1-td4543.html#none
Kind regards,
Jan Prunk

Re: Smartcard reader Precise Biometrics 200 MC

Ludovic Rousseau
Hello,

Hello,

I am wondering if the smartcard reader "Precise Biometrics 200 MC" [1] managed to enter to the supported readers to be used with GnuPG on GNU/Linux systems now in 2016 ? Is there a guideline to follow for setting it up ? I have found a reference [2] where it says that this reader has been assigned to unsupported devices list [3] in the year 2010. I am wondering if anything has been changed in the last 6 years about that, and would it make any sense keeping this device for another year if there is a chance for any progress to be made or will it simply remain being permanently unsupported ? Could it maybe be used without a fingerprint scanner and only through a PIN entry entering mode from the PC ?

Have you tried to use the reader?
Does it work for you?

The problem is in the reader firmware. Maybe Precise Biometrics has fixed the problem in a recent version of the reader.

There is no guideline to setup the reader. Just install the needed software and connect your reader.

The article "Level 1 smart card support on GNU/Linux" http://ludovicrousseau.blogspot.it/2014/03/level-1-smart-card-support-on-gnulinux.html could help.

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Smartcard reader Precise Biometrics 200 MC

yang
Hello Dr. Rousseau,

> I am wondering if the smartcard reader "Precise Biometrics 200 MC" [1]
> managed to enter to the supported readers to be used with GnuPG on
> GNU/Linux systems now in 2016 ? Is there a guideline to follow for setting
> it up ? I have found a reference [2] where it says that this reader has
> been assigned to unsupported devices list [3] in the year 2010. I am
> wondering if anything has been changed in the last 6 years about that, and
> would it make any sense keeping this device for another year if there is a
> chance for any progress to be made or will it simply remain being
> permanently unsupported ? Could it maybe be used without a fingerprint
> scanner and only through a PIN entry entering mode from the PC ?

> Have you tried to use the reader?

I have tried to test the reader as described on "Level 1 smart card support on GNU/Linux",
however it seems that it doesn't give the desired output. The reader might also be a broken hardware, as I received it from second hand. The thing that I noticed when plugging it into USB is that on the reader above finger print scanner there are two lights. The left light blinks green and the right light is green all the time, when the reader is inserted into USB. I tested this without an OpenPGP card being inserted. The whole CLI output of the commands that I have tried is available in this link - http://paste.debian.net/plain/837677

> Does it work for you?

No ( or only partially with lsusb detect ).

> The problem is in the reader firmware. Maybe Precise Biometrics has fixed
> the problem in a recent version of the reader.

I will try to detect the reader from a Microsoft Windows machine and reinstall it with latest firmware from their website and maybe proceed then again on GNU/Linux.

Kind regards,
Jan Prunk
--
Jan Prunk   http://prunk.si
PGP Pubkey  http://prunk.si/0x9FD7F151.txt

Re: Smartcard reader Precise Biometrics 200 MC

Ludovic Rousseau

Hello Dr. Rousseau,

> I am wondering if the smartcard reader "Precise Biometrics 200 MC" [1]
> managed to enter to the supported readers to be used with GnuPG on
> GNU/Linux systems now in 2016 ? Is there a guideline to follow for setting
> it up ? I have found a reference [2] where it says that this reader has
> been assigned to unsupported devices list [3] in the year 2010. I am
> wondering if anything has been changed in the last 6 years about that, and
> would it make any sense keeping this device for another year if there is a
> chance for any progress to be made or will it simply remain being
> permanently unsupported ? Could it maybe be used without a fingerprint
> scanner and only through a PIN entry entering mode from the PC ?

> Have you tried to use the reader?

I have tried to test the reader as described on "Level 1 smart card support on GNU/Linux",
however it seems that it doesn't give the desired output. The reader might also be a broken hardware, as I received it from second hand. The thing that I noticed when plugging it into USB is that on the reader above finger print scanner there are two lights. The left light blinks green and the right light is green all the time, when the reader is inserted into USB. I tested this without an OpenPGP card being inserted. The whole CLI output of the commands that I have tried is available in this link - http://paste.debian.net/plain/837677

I do not have this device in my list.
  idVendor     0x08c3 Precise Biometrics
  idProduct     0x0406 100 MC Upgrade

Bye

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

Re: Smartcard reader Precise Biometrics 200 MC

yang
Hello Dr. Rousseau,

> I do not have this device in my list.
>  idVendor     0x08c3 Precise Biometrics
>  idProduct     0x0406 100 MC Upgrade
> Please follow  https://pcsclite.alioth.debian.org/ccid.html#CCID_compliant

I made the output of CCID specification available in this link - http://paste.debian.net/plain/838091

Kind regards,
Jan Prunk
--
Jan Prunk   http://prunk.si
PGP Pubkey  http://prunk.si/0x9FD7F151.txt

Re: Smartcard reader Precise Biometrics 200 MC

yang
Additionally:

1. The URL of a web page describing the reader - http://precisebiometrics.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/ProductSheetPrecise200MC.pdf

2. A picture of the reader - http://imgur.com/a/QPTyi

Kind regards,
Jan Prunk
--
Jan Prunk   http://prunk.si
PGP Pubkey  http://prunk.si/0x9FD7F151.txt

Re: Smartcard reader Precise Biometrics 200 MC

yang
Hello Dr. Rousseau,

Here is my full debug done with my best effort for "Precise Biometrics 200 MC". If there is anything else I could test, please suggest.

1. CCID driver version
I removed 1.4.23 from Debian and compiled 1.4.24 from source as suggested. I think it is the one being in use now.

2. pcsc-lite version
pcsc-tools 1.4.23-1 , pcscd 1.8.13-1 (Debian jessie)

3. smart card reader name
Precise Biometrics 200 MC

4. the output of the command "/usr/sbin/pcscd --version"
pcsc-lite version 1.8.13.
Copyright (C) 1999-2002 by David Corcoran <[hidden email]>.
Copyright (C) 2001-2011 by Ludovic Rousseau <[hidden email]>.
Copyright (C) 2003-2004 by Damien Sauveron <[hidden email]>.
Report bugs to <[hidden email]>.
Enabled features: Linux x86_64-pc-linux-gnu serial usb libudev usbdropdir=/usr/lib/pcsc/drivers ipcdir=/var/run/pcscd configdir=/etc/reader.conf.d

5. Operating system or GNU/Linux distribution name and version
Debian jessie 8.6

6. Smart card middleware name and version
libpcsc-perl 1.4.13-1+b2 ,  libpcsclite-dev 1.8.13-1 , libpcsclite1:amd64 1.8.13-1

7. Reader manufacturer name and reader model name
Precise Biometrics 200 MC

8. Smart card name
I have the FSFE OpenPGP smartcard, however I haven't tested it with the reader, since I am unable to detect the reader at this point.

9. sudo LIBCCID_ifdLogLevel=0x000F pcscd --foreground --debug --apdu --color | tee log333.txt
File log333.txt attached and also available at http://paste.debian.net/plainh/8b7b2084

10. Readers compliance to CCID specification
File output8.txt attached and also available at http://paste.debian.net/plainh/7a83cdb1

Kind regards,
Jan Prunk

log333.txt (9K) Download Attachment
output8.txt (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Smartcard reader Precise Biometrics 200 MC

Ludovic Rousseau

> Hello Dr. Rousseau,

Hello,

> 9. sudo LIBCCID_ifdLogLevel=0x000F pcscd --foreground --debug --apdu --color | tee log333.txt
> File log333.txt attached and also available at http://paste.debian.net/plainh/8b7b2084

00000014 -> 000000 65 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00003020 <- 000000 80 00 00 00 00 00 00 42 00 00
00000016 commands.c:1220:CmdGetSlotStatus Command not supported or not allowed

The reader firmware is bogus. Or at least it is not CCID compliant.

I added the reader in the "Disabled CCID readers" list [1] with a note explaining the problem.

Maybe Precise has a firmware upgrade available.

Note that your device "Precise 200 MC Upgrade" [1] is different from the "Precise 200 MC" [2] I already have the in "Unsupported or partly supported CCID readers" list.

Bye